Chettinad Chicken Pepper
As'Salamualaikum Wa'Rahmatullahi Wa'Barakatuhu
Chettinad Chicken Pepper..... Classic, spicy, delicious, flavorful dish of South Indian region of Chettinad in Tamil Nadu. I love experimenting new dishes and when Mr.Atul of Sikandalous Group shared his recipe on facebook, Via Rakesh Sharma I immediately nailed this dish. I didn’t have the variety of dry red chillies he recommended so tried with normal dry chillies.
Wet Paste Ingredients:
1) Fennel seed 1tsp ( I didn't use)
2) Black Peppercorns 2tsp
3) Cumin Seeds 1tsp
4) Red Dried Chilies - Goondu Milagai 4-5
5) Coriander Seeds 1tsp
Other Ingredients :
6) Turmeric Powder 1/2 tsp
7) Peeled & Grated Garlic 1tsp
8) Peeled & Grated Ginger 1/2 tsp
9) Vegetable Oil 1/2 cup
10) Cinnamon 2"
11) Green Cardamons 2-3
12) Medium Onions Chopped(150 Grams) 1-1/2
13) Fresh Tomato Puree (2 Tomatoes)1/2 cup
15) Chicken 600gms
1) Dry roast the masalas listed under paste till fragrant and slightly darkened.
2) Cool and grind to a paste with a bit of water , add ginger garlic and haldi to the paste.
3) Heat oil in a Kadhai, add cinnamon and cardamoms and onions. Reduce heat to medium and saute onions till light brown , then add tomato puree and cook another minute.
4) Add masala paste and cook 8-10 minutes till oil separates . The masala will be darkened.
5) Add salt to the paste and chicken. Cook 1-2 minutes to coat ( I cooked it for 5-7 minutes ) , then add 1cup water , increase heat , scrape bottom to de-glaze . Bring to a boil allowing chicken to boil 2-3 minutes, then reduce heat and cook covered 15-20 minutes.
6) Uncover, reduce gravy till it just about coats the chicken pieces. Serve immediately.