1) Milk powder 1cup
2) Sooji/ fine semolina 1tbps
3) Baking Powder 1tsp
4) Oil 1tbps
5) Egg 1large
1) Sugar 2cups
2) Water 2cups
3) Cardamom 7-8
4) Saffron soak in water 1pinch
5) Lemon juice 1tbsp
1) Mix Saffron with some water in a bowl.
2) In a pan add sugar, water and Cardamoms.
3) Next add Saffron water and 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice.
4) Bring to boil and then put on the lowest possible heat and let it simmer.
5) Add fresh unused oil in the pan and heat.
6) In a bowl take 1 Cup of Milk Powder
7) Add 1tsp baking powder
8) Next add 1tbsp fine semolina
9) Mix well till all combined.
10) Add 1tbps oil.
11) Crack open onto the top 1 Large Egg - kept at room temperature
12) Mix with hand and gather into a dough ball.
13) Rolling in your hands, make small balls with the dough, making sure they are round and smooth and have no cracks
14) Make all balls and then keep adding the balls to the hot oil.
15) Stir with light hands so they roll in the oil and are cooked evenly all over
16) Once cooked and brown in colour remove with a slotted spoon
17) Keep adding the fried balls to the hot syrup till all have been added.
18) Leave to soak in the syrup for at least 15-30 minutes.
19) Serve hot, warm or cold with chopped nuts.
Recipe adapted from ** Samia's Recipe Store **