Friday, November 7, 2014
Saffron Rice with Fried Veggies
1) Basmati rice 2 cups
2) 2 to 3 generous pinch of saffron or kesar soak in little warm milk.
3) Caraway seeds/Shah jeera 1/2 tsp
4) Green cardamom 2
5) Bay leaf/ tej patta 1
6) Cinnamon 1"
7) Cloves 2
8) 3 or 31/4 cups water
9) Oil 1tbsp
10) Salt as required
11) Vegetables ( I used 1cup of carrots, beans and frozen peas)
11) Ghee 1tbsp (optional)
1) Rinse the rice for 3-4 times in water and soak the rice for 20-30 mins in water.
2) Heat oil in a deep pan or pot. Stir fry all vegetables for 2-3 mins. Remove and keep aside.
3) In the same oil add all the whole spices including shahjeera. Fry till the oil becomes fragrant.
3) Add water along with salt and bring to boil.
4) Add the rice and cook till almost done. Drain the rice, level it evenly and pour ghee and saffron milk over it. Sprinkle half of the fried veggies.
5) Cover and cook on very low flame until completely done.
6) Fluff gently with a fork. Garnish with remaining veggies and serve hot with Dalcha n pepper roast chicken.