Pav Bhaji with a twist of Spicy Achari Masala.
Well who doesn't love the most popular Mumbai street food "Pav Bhaji" that too with extra spiciness and flavours of Achari Masala....Oh its a total bliss and treat to Spice Lovers. Pav Bhaji is more than a mere snack, its a quick meal that can be grabbed on the go. The amount of butter and spices can be used accordingly one's choice. This is one of the best recipe I ever made. My kiddos enjoyed with home made Ladi Pav.
1) Potatoes 4 medium
2) Carrots 2 medium
3) Tomatoes,chopped 2 medium
4) Onions,chopped 2 medium
5) Green Capsicum, chopped 1 medium
6) Cauliflower chopped 1/2 cup
7) Green peas, boiled 1/4 cup
8) Ginger paste 1tsp
9) Garlic paste 1tsp
10) Butter 2 tbsp
11) Green chillies 3-4 chopped
12) Pav bhaji masala 1tbsp full
13) Turmeric pdr 1/2 tsp
14) Red chilli pdr 1tsp (optional)
15) Salt to taste
16) Butter 2 tbsp(add while serving)
17) Achari Masala 2 tsp
18) Coriander chopped 3-4 tbsp
19) Lemons,cut into wedges 2
20) Chat Masala 1/2 tsp
1) Boil potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, capsicum in salted water till soft, drain, mash well and set aside.
(don't throw the boiled water of vegetables(stock)
2) Heat oil in a pan and add three fourth quantity of onions.
Sauté till light brown. Add green chillies and ginger-garlic paste. Stir-fry for half a minute.
3) Add chopped tomatoes, boiled peas, turmeric pdr, red chilli pdr, pav bhaji masala, achari masala and cook on medium heat for three to four minutes, stirring continuously or till oil separates from the masala.
4) Add mashed mixture and vegetable stock. Bring it to a boil and simmer for ten minutes, pressing with back of the spoon a few times, till all the vegetables are completely mashed.
5) Cook on medium heat for two minutes, stirring continuously. Add salt and lemon juice to taste and sprinkle chaat masala.
6) Heat half of the butter in a thick-bottomed pan or a tawa. Slice pav horizontally into two and pan fry in butter for half a minute, pressing two or three times or till pav is crisp and light brown.
7) Garnish the bhaji with chopped coriander leaves, butter and serve hot with pav accompanied with remaining chopped onion and lemon wedges.
Ingredients for Achari Masala
1) Cumin/Zeera 4 tbsp
2) Mustard/Rai 4 tbsp
3) Fenugreek/Methi 3 tbsp
4) Nigella/Kalonji 3 tbsp
5) Carom/Ajwain 1tsp
6) Fennel/Saunf 3 tbsp
7) Whole red chilles 100gms
Roast all the above ingredients together except Chillies.
Roast red chillies separately.Grind everything to a coarsely or fine powder.
Store in an air-tight container.