A recipe possibly from the kitchens of Muslim aristocracy of Bhopal and Calcutta , Chicken Rizzala is also known as green korma . This recipe has been adapted from Atul Sikand who adapted from Camellia Punjabi's cookbook titled 50 Great Curries of India. It's rich and delicious ! I used boneless , the original calls for 1 Kg chicken cut into 8 pieces - which is a better choice to use.
- 1/2 Cup Cashew Nuts ( Soaked in water - 20 minutes ).
- 4 Medium Onions - Chopped.
- 1 Cup Coriander Leaves Chopped.
- 1/2 Cup Mint Leaves .
- 4 Green Chilies.
- 2 Bay Leaves.
- 4-5 Green Cardamons.
- 1 1/2" Cinnamon Stick.
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger Minced.
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic Minced.
- 1 Heaped Teaspoon Coriander Powder.
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sugar.
- Juice of 1 Lemon.
- 50 Ml Cream
- 6 Tablespoons Oil
- Heat 4 tablespoons oil , fry onions over medium heat till they are crispy brown but not burnt .This will take 15-20 minutes.
- Strain onions , and puree along with green chilies , coriander and mint leaves along with cashews . Add about 50 Ml water to blend . Set green paste aside .
- Take the remaining oil , when hot add bay leaf cinnamon cardamons ginger and garlic. Cook for a minute then add chicken.
- Increase heat to seal chicken - 2-3 minutes , then add the coriander powder along with the salt . Cook 1 minute and add the green paste .Saute covered for 10 minutes .
- Then add 200 Ml water along with sugar and lemon juice and cook till done .
- You will end up with a thick gravy .When ready to serve stir in the cream .