Fish Biryani (Weekend Special)
Have you all notice how the time is running?? It was like yesterday I posted Weekend Special and here comes another weekend! :O
""Ahmad narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The Hour will not begin until time passes quickly, so a year will be like a month, and a month will be like a week, and a week will be like a day, and a day will be like an hour, and an hour will be like the burning of a braid of palm leaves.”
Well as its weekend it has to be special for which me and my family look forward to.
So here is another Delicious recipe tried and tested on a special request. My plans were to fry fish fillets and enjoy with Khatti Dal, but my kids demanded Biryani...
Alhumdulillah managed to do quick changes in the menu and served them Fish Biryani. :)
Ingredients for fish marination:
1) Fish fillet of your choice 1kg
2) Ginger-garlic paste 1 tsp
3) Tandoori masala 1 tbsp
4) Lemon juice 1 tbsp
5) Salt to taste
Ingredients for masala :
1) Onions 2 large finely sliced
2) Tomatoes 2 medium chopped
3) Ginger-garlic paste 1 tbsp
4) Red chili powder 1 tsp
5) Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
6) Yogurt 3/4 cup
7) Garam masala 1 tsp
8) Salt to taste
9) Oil 1/4 cup
Ingredients for rice:
1) Basmati Rice 3 cups
2) Cardamom 4
3) Cloves 4
4) Cinnamon 1"
5) Bay leaves 2
6) Shah zeera 1/2 tsp
7) Salt to taste
8) Coriander leaves chopped as required
9) Mint leaves chopped as required
1) Marinate fish fillet for an hour. Pan fry fish pieces just for 2-3 mins on both sides. Just enough to help it hold its shape in the biryani so that it doesn't fall apart whilst cooking. Remember that it will get cooked further in the masala later.
2) Heat a saucepan and add 1/4 cup oil, fry your sliced onions until golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
3) Add the chopped tomatoes in the same sauce pan and stir-fry on medium heat until well softened.
4) Add ginger-garlic paste, half crushed onions, all the spices, whisked yogurt and stir well, keep this cooking on low heat until yoghurt id well blended and oil starts coming out from the sides.
5) Now add fried fish pieces, 2 green chilies, chopped coriander and mint leaves. Cook this masala for about 10 mins on low heat. Do not stir with spoon at this stage.
6) Switch off the gas and lastly add lemon juice.
Next Step :
Wash and soak rice in water for about 20-30 mins. Soak a few saffron strands in some milk and set aside. Bring a big pot of water to boil, add salt, whole spices.
Drain the soaked rice and add it to this water when it is boiling. Cook until the rice is about 3/4 done, remove and strain out all the water.
Put half the rice back into the pan, Now layer fish masala on rice and add remaining rice on top!
Sprinkle lemon juice, 2tbsp of oil, fried onions, few chopped mint leaves and saffron milk.
Cover the pan with foil and lid!
Cook it on low steam for about 15-20 mins!!