Sunday, February 1, 2015

Gajar ka Halwa

Gajar ka Halwa....
Who doesn't love this most Rich Indian dessert, which is a delight in winter seasons! Well if you ask me, I was not really fond of this meetha until I had once made by my Sasuma. and  till date I enjoy not only eating it but I love to make Sasuma's way. She says the secret for rich and delicious meetha lies "Stir Cook" the meetha the best results we get. She used to make in large batches and freeze them. My father-in-law used to help in grating carrots as that was painful work for us. :P 
Ahh... I miss that fun, where there was lots of hard work to do and enjoy this Divine Halwa. Today Iam sharing my Sasuma's recipe again. :)


Ingredients:
Grated red carrots 1-1/2kg
Sugar 1-1/2 cups
Elaichi pdr 2-3tsp(use fresh)
Khoya 1/2 cup
Asli Ghee 6 tbsp
Milk 1litre

Saffron 1 pinch
Almond and Pistachio for garnishing 




Method:
Wash, dry and grate red carrots.
In a heavy bottomed pan heat ghee, add grated carrots. Cook on medium heat while stirring for 10 mins.
Add sugar, milk, elaichi pdr and saffron, keep stirring occasionally till milk dries up.
Add  Khoya..stir stir stir!!
The more u Bhunofy the halwa on low flame the more rich texture and color you will get!! (I used to stir cook for nearly 1/2 hour)
Garnish well with chopped nuts and serve warm!!



Notes:
For Healthy version..
1) Use less amount of Ghee and Sugar as per taste.
2) Use brown sugar in place of refine sugar.
3) Use low fat Milk. 

4 comments:

  1. adding khoya would give a lovely taste... always love gajar halwa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rafeeda agreed...adding khoya makes lots of difference.
      Jazakillaah Khair. :)

      Delete
  2. Hello, new to your space, the carrot halwa caught my eye , one my favorite indian sweet dishes never made it though. :) will give it a try soon. have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nammi,
      Welcome to my space and Thank you soo much for dropping a comment.
      Do try this halwa, its worth trying! :)

      Stay connected... :)

      Delete

Total Pageviews