Smoked Murgh Musallam
As'Salamualaikum Wa'Rahmatullahi Wa'Barakatuhu!!
Alhumdulillaah its Friday again!
Last weekend I served Smoked Murgh Musallam, Saffron Almonds Rice and our favorite Kaddu ka Dalcha. The chicken was marinated night before and cooked the other day. Its was rich and creamy and super delicious. Authentic recipe read stuffed whole chicken with boiled eggs and sometimes vegetable like potatoes and peas. As this was my first take on this royal dish I skipped the stuffing part. InshaAllaaah next time will nail the authentic recipe.
Murgh Musallam literally means whole chicken; it is a rich dish in which a whole chicken is marinated, stuffed with eggs, prepared with spices like saffron, cinnamon, cloves, poppy seeds, cardamom and chili, and decorated with almonds and silver leaves. It is considered a gourmet dish in the book of Moghul cuisine Dastarkhwan-e-Awadh, where it is described as lending a certain majesty to the dastarkhwan (tablecloth upon which the dishes of a meal are places). Read more about Murgh Musallam Here
- Chicken whole skinless 1kg
- Onions 3 large deep fried and crushed
- Yogurt 1 cup/200gms
- Ginger-garlic paste 2 tbsp
- Red chilli powder 1tsp
- Turmeric powder 1tsp
- Black pepper powder 1tsp
- Garam Masala 1tsp
- Almonds 20
- Poppy seeds 1tbsp or cashew nuts 8
- Coconut powder 3tbsp
- Lemon juice 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves paste
- Mint leaves paste
- Green chilli paste
- Saffron pinch full
- Salt to taste
- Oil/ghee 3-4 tbsp
- Clean, wash and drain the whole chicken and keep in a colander for few mins.
- Mark few deep cuts on it with knife.
- In a deep pan heat oil and add sliced onions till golden brown. Remove and make a paste of it.
- Dry roast almonds slightly and make thick paste using grinder.
- In a bowl combine yogurt, onions paste, poppy seeds and almonds paste,ginger-garlic paste, salt, chilli powder, garam masala powder, saffron strands, lemon juice, black pepper and turmeric powder, coriander and mint leaves paste. Mix it well and keep it cover for 15 mins.
- Next coat the chicken with marinade using hand so that the chicken get well coated. Marinate it for 4-5 hours or overnight for best results.
- Now take a heavy bottomed pan, add 3-4tbsp oil, add chicken with the marinade, cover the lid and let it cook on a very low heat. Check and stir in between and keep the chicken turning so that it get well cook on both sides. If you see masala gets stick to the pan then sprinkle some water on sides of pan and not on chicken. It will take 40-45 min to get completely cooked.
For the smokey flavour :Heat a charcoal, and place it in a steel bowl with a small piece of aluminium foil. Place this bowl in the pan and drop a few drops of oil on burning coal. immediately close the lid tightly and let it rest for 10 mins. later remove the bowl and discard the coal.
Garnish with boiled eggs and chopped vegetables salad.
Serve hot with saffron rice, butter naan and raita or curry of your choice.