Healthy Barley & Chicken Soup - Ramadan Special
Assalamualaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuhu!
Soups can be refreshing, soothing, fulfilling, no-fuss, hearty, comforting food. I love enjoying soups and but I don't know why I feel very lazy making soups. :P One of my very favorite is this one-pot warm healthy and delicious chicken soup. Use chicken with bones to make this hearty delicious soup any time of the year. I make this soup mostly during Ramadan, but ideal for winter.
My entire family loves this, , it even freeze well , so make a large batch and portion it out easily whenever needed. Chicken can be substituted with tender mutton with bone pieces. You will be amazed at how easy it is to make. Let’s get started with the recipe...
1) Chicken with bone bite size pieces 1 cup
2) Onions - 1 medium chopped
3) Tomatoes - 1 medium chopped
4) Chicken stock - 1 cup (you can use just water too)
5) Barley - 1/2 cup (soak and boiled)
6) Carrots - 1 small cubed
7) Green Peas - 1/4 cup
8) Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tsp full
9) Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
10) Salt to taste
11) Green chilies 2
12) Coriander leaves 2 tbsp
13) Mint leaves - 2 tbsp
14) Olive oil 1 tbsp (you can use regular cooking oil)
15) Black pepper powder 1/2 tsp
16) Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp (use homemade for best results)
1) Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add chopped onions and stir fry for a min.
2) Add ginger-garlic paste, and all the other seasoning,
3) Add chicken pieces, barley, chicken stock, green chilies, tomatoes, peas and carrots.
4) Give a nice stir and pressure cook for 20 mins on low flame.
5) Once cooked you will see thick mixture. Just add water as required consistency, add chopped coriander and mint leaves.
6) Check the seasoning and sprinkle garam masala and let it simmer down for 5 mins more.
7) Serve hot or warm :)
8) Enjoy XOXO